Български (България)English (United Kingdom)
Women chess composers (Updated)

odettejuliaalenadelia6(08.03.2014) Today is the International Women's Day. In this article you can see information, selected problems and photos of current women chess composers. Happy holiday to all of them! The article will be updated periodically with information and compositions of other women chess composers!

Odette Vollenweider (Switzerland)

odette   odette.wenda.reto

Born on 30.07.1933 she is Honorary Master, excellent chess composer, editor and writer. Odette edited the chess problems section of the Neue Zuercher Zeitung for many years. Under the pseudonym of Gabriele Baumgartner she published the Israel Shiffman antology “Faszinierendes Schachproblem” in 1964. She wrote also other books and many articles. This year we can follow her articles about Hans Johner in Idee & Form.

odette2

Julia Vysotska (Latvia)

julia3     julia1

She is the new star in our art! Extremely talented composer who prefer mostly the fairy genre (and also helpmates).

As a judge of the 1st Bulgarian Wine Tourney in 2010 I was pleased to receive and saw her first composed problem. I was pretty sure that very soon she will become a really strong composer.

Julia won prizes in some very strong tourneys, currently running her wonderful website (juliasfairies.com) and also editing the WFCC website! Well done Julia!

julia2

Alena Kozhakina (Russia)

alena1

Alena's profile in the FIDE website

Alena is a daughter of the famous Vladimir Kozhakin. She is also a strong OTB chess player - titled Woman FIDE Master.

She composing mostly orthodox problems - miniatures. Hope we will see more her problems and chess games! Keep going Alena!

alena2

Delia Duca (Romania)

delia5  delia4  delia3

delia1

Delia's profile in the FIDE website

Delia is a beautiful romanian chess player, solver and composer. She is a model and Miss Universe Romania 2012. Very positive and smiling lady.

I hope she will continue to be interested of chess composition in the future too.

delia2

Sally Lewis (Great Britain)

Sally is British composer, a wife of the late Tony Lewis (1933-2012). Most of her problems are join compositions with him. She prefer orthodox twomovers but also have some #3 and H#.

sally222

Happy Women's Day to all chess ladies!

flowers

Comments  

+2 #1 Diyan Kostadinov 2014-03-08 18:39
If I missed some other woman composer - please send me information and I will include her.

+3 #2 Vidadi Zamanov 2014-03-08 22:19
Azerbaijan's women composers. RUZICENG Narmina and Zuleicha Eiwasowa.

+3 #3 shankar ram 2014-03-09 03:16
Diyan, my appreciation to you for remembering the IWD.. and presenting this information..
I too remember seeing a photo of Zuleikha Eivazova in the problemist in the 80s or 90s.. Don't know if she's still active..
The U.K has a husband/wife team who regularly used to compose orthodox #2 mutates.. Can't immediately recall their names..
Odette and Julia are well known, of course..
Delia-Monica is something unusual.. a model and a problem composer..!

+3 #4 Julia Vysotska 2014-03-09 08:41
Thank you so much, Diyan!!

+3 #5 seetharaman 2014-03-09 12:02
The earliest one is of course Mrs.Baird.

+4 #6 Diyan Kostadinov 2014-03-09 15:47
Now the article was updated - Odette Vollenweider and Sally Lewis were included.

I try to find more information about Pascale Piet (France). Ruzicheng Narmina and Zuleicha Eivasova from Azerbaijan probably are not active now, but waiting more info from Azeri composers about them.

Later will include also the ladies from the past (Edith Baird, Elisabeth Gamsjaeger...) and some famous women which composed incidentally (Susan Polgar, Alexandra Kosteniuk).

I need some time to collect more information. I will be thankful for any help (better using my email)

+3 #7 shankar ram 2014-03-09 16:18
There is a book "Korolevi shakmatnoi kompozitsi".. from the 80s..
Will dig out my copy and see..!

+3 #8 eugene rosner 2014-03-10 16:42
There is so much more to the Lewis 2004 1st Pr. Marjan Kovacevic was judge and points out some masterly interference play in the tries. He first asks, what can be done about the strong set play 1...Bxe5?
1.Qe4?(2.Rd5#)Bxe5 2.Qxe5# Qxa5!
1.Qe3?(2.Rd5#)Qxa5 2.Qcr# Sf7!
1.Qh5?(2.Re6#)Sf7 2.Qg6# Rd5!
there is also set play that accentuates the double checks 1...Se7/Qc5 2.Rd5/Re6#
See the November 2006 problemist for marjan's full report.

+2 #9 Diyan Kostadinov 2014-03-11 00:21
Thank you Eugene! I include the set play and tries in the solution of this twomover. And also change the wrong diagram of the 3rd Sally's example.

Probably tomorrow will update the article with more women composers.

+2 #10 Vidadi Zamanov 2014-03-11 11:10
We need to collect information about the world women's chess composers.
Please! See the site: popovgl.narod.ru/.../...

+2 #11 Alain Villeneuve 2015-09-18 14:43
Don't lose your time, Diyan, unfortunately "Pascale Piet" does not exist : this is a pseudo !

But we may also mention Nadejda Leontieva (if i am not wrong, she was the wife of Rafael Kofman), see Fide album from 1968 till 1979.

There is also Elena Pepeljaeva from Kazakhstan : she had 2 problems in WCSC 1993 in Bratislava.

0 #12 Diyan Kostadinov 2015-09-19 06:26
Thanks for information Alain! And thanks to all who share his information with us here. Probably some day I will write 3rd part of the article about the women chess composers.

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

P1110623

KOBULCHESS.COM

site for chess composition

General editor:

Diyan Kostadinov

Co-editor:

Seetharaman Kalyan

Recent comments