Български (България)English (United Kingdom)
Fairings No. 32 (Юли 2013)

feather(02.07.2013) Щастлив съм да представя новата статия от поредицата Fairings на Chris Feather, с подкрепа за разпространението на Stephen Emmerson.

FAIRINGS…                                    No 32: July 2013

C.J.Feather, 10 Tinwell Road, STAMFORD, PE9 2QQ   or

Holly Tree Cottage, Yarwell Road, Wansford, Cambridgeshire, PE8 6PL, England

Distribution: Е-мейл адресът e защитен от спам ботове.

Readers may be surprised to see this new issue published by electronic means! For the explanation see the Endnote. This time there is little variety, just some Circe variants and their antiforms (specified above the diagrams), hence the unusual presentation order. Definitions are on the next page. Best wishes to all.

f321

1 1.Sd5 PAf1 2.Se3 exd3#, 1.Sc2 PAd1 2.Se3 exf3#, 1.Sc6 PAe1+ 2.Kd4 e3# & 1.Re1 LExe1+ 2.Kf5 e4# Albino in which the mating P is guarded by potential rebirths on e2.

2 a) 1...nSPd8=nR 2.Kc1 nRd1+ 3.nSPxd1=nS[nRd4] nRxd1[nSe2]# b) 1...nSPg8=nR 2.nRg4 nSPe8=nQ 3.nRe4 nQxe4[nRg1]# c) 1...nSPe8=nQ 2.nSPg1=nB nQg6+ 3.Ka1 nQxg1[nBg7]# d) 1...nSPd8=nS 2.nSPf6 nSf7 3.nSh8 nSPxh8=nB[nSd2]# Double nAUW in cyclic pairings SR/RQ/QB/BS.         

3 1.Rc2 Kb3 2.Rh2+ (R~?) Rxd1-f1# & 1.Bc2 Kc3 2.Bh7+(B~?) Rxc1-f1# Grimshaw, then hideaways with avoided rebirths.

f322

4 a) 1.Kb2 Kb5 2.nPe1=nQ nQb1+ 3.Ka3+ Ka4# & 1.Kc2 Kd4 2.nPe1=nR nRb1 3.Kd2 Kd3# b) 1.Kc1 Kb3 2.nPe1=nB nBd2+ 3.Kb1 Kb2# c) 1.nPe1=nS nSc2 2.Kc1 nSa3 3.nSb1 Kc2# nAUW + K-mates.       

5 1.Kxb2-a1 3.Kxc3-a1 6.Kxd4-a1 10.Kxe5-a1 15.Kxf6-a1 21.Kxg7-a1 28.Kxh8-a1 35.Kh8 Sf7# Longest, and easiest!        

6 1.Ke4 Sc4 2.Rbxg5[Rb4] Sxe3[Pd6]# & 1.Bxf3[Sc6] Bxe3[Pd6] 2.Bxh1 [Ba8] Sd8# Battery inversion. Complete diagonal/orthogonal balance is impossible in SymmetryCirce.

f323 

7 1. Sb7#?? Kxc6[Pf3]! so 1.Kxc6[Pf3] 2.Kxb6[Bg3] 3.Kxc5[Sf4] 4.Kd6 5.gxf4[Sc5] 6.fxg3[Bb6] 7.g2 8.gxh1B[Ba8] 9.Bxf3[Pc6] 10.Bxc6[Pf3] 11.Bd7 Se4#, a symmetric switch.          

8 Set 1.Bb2# Sol. 1.RLxc1-d1[Bf8] 2.Kb2 6.Kxe6[Bd3] 7.Ke5! 8.RLxd3-d4[Be6] 9.Kxe6[Bd3] 10.Kd7 11.Ke8 12.Kxf8[Bc1] 14.Kh8 15.RLxd2[Be6] Bb2# Oscillating Bs, with a striking retreat by the BK.            

9 1.Rc6 Bf2 2.Bxf2-c7 Qf2# & 1.Ra8 Bg1 2.Bxg1-b8 Qg1# The choice of R hideaway determines the whole sequence.

f324

10 a) 1.Kxe5-d4 Sxe2-d7+ 2.Ke4 d6# b) 1.Kxd3-e6 Rxb2-g7 2.Kxe5-d4 Rxe7-d2# Diagonal and orthogonal batteries do not correspond in SaC, so I tried a doubling effect: 2 captures + 1 round trip in a, 4+2 in b.         

11 1.f1R Ke5 2.Rb1 Kf6 3.Rb2 Kg7#, 1.f1B Kxc4-f5 2.Bc4 Kg6 3.Ba2 Kh7# & 1.f1S Kxc3-f6 2.Sd2 Kf7 3.Sb1 Kg8# No repeated moves.          

12 1.Kg1 2.Qh1 3.Qxh2-a7 4.Qe7 5.Qxh4-a5 6.Qf5 7.Qxh3-a6 8.Qb6 9.h4 12.h1B 13.Bb7 14.Qc6 14.Kg2# BQ round trip.

Definitions 

Circe: Captured units (not Ks) reappear on their game-array squares, of the same colour in the case of pieces, on the file of capture in the case of pawns, and on the promotion square of the file of capture in the case of fairy pieces. If the rebirth square is occupied the capture is normal.

antiCirce: After a capture the capturing piece (Ks included) must immediately be removed to its game array square (necessarily vacant, else the capture is illegal). R, B & S go to the square of the same colour as the capture; Ps stay on the file of capture; fairy pieces go to the promotion square of the file of capture. [The default Calvet type (not usually specified) allows captures on the rebirth square, the rarer Cheylan variant (always to be specified) excludes them. In practice many problems can be of either type.]

DiagramCirce: As Circe except that the rebirth square for the captured unit is that which it occupied in the starting position for the current part of the problem.

DiagramantiCirce: As antiCirce except that the rebirth square for the capturing unit is that which it occupied in the starting position for the current part of the problem.

SymmetryCirce: As Circe except that the rebirth square for the captured unit is that which lies at an equal distance (in a straight line) beyond the midpoint of the board. Thus a capture on c4 produces a rebirth on f5, a capture on g1 produces a rebirth on b8, and so on. Strictly speaking there are of course other types of symmetry: this one is rotational.

SymmetryantiCirce: As antiCirce except that the rebirth square for the capturing unit is that which is symmetrical in SymmetryCirce.

Neutrality: A unit with this characteristic may be regarded as of either colour by the side whose turn it is to play. Neutral pawns promote to neutral pieces.

Leo LE / Pao PA: These so-called Chinese pieces move as Q/R respectively, but capture (on Q/R lines) by hopping over a hurdle at any distance to any square beyond.

Superpawn SP: Moves to, or captures at, any distance in the usual directions, and may stand on its own first rank. Promotion is normal.

Rookhopper RH: Hops on R-lines over any one unit (the hurdle) to the next square beyond.

Rook-locust RL: a piece which moves only to capture. It lands on the same squares as a rookhopper, but the arrival square must be empty, and the hurdle must be of the opposing colour, because the rook-locust captures its hurdle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer testing in Fairings:

Problems in Fairings are tested by Popeye wherever possible. All the problems in this issue have been tested by Popeye.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Endnote

My decision to abandon e-mail at the end of May called forth an abundance of kind, understanding and helpful responses from readers. I was most heartened by this implied vote of confidence from you all! Special thanks go to Julia Vysotska and Diyan Kostadinov, who proposed continuing to feature Fairings on their websites even though doing so would cause them greater trouble in future. Particularly touching were offers from a number of readers to help Fairings to continue with electronic publication; I had never imagined that anyone would be so kind as to suggest that.

However I could not accept all those offers! I have taken up the one from Stephen Emmerson (thank you very much!) because it is the most practical geographically: Stephen lives relatively near to me. However I am most grateful to everyone else too; it is especially wonderful to reflect that some of the problemists in question are ones whom I have never met. The chess problem may be an esoteric activity but its power to bring people together in spirit is strong.

Stephen has very kindly agreed to deal with practical matters, so if you want to cease receiving Fairings or if you have a friend who wants to be added to the circulation list, please e-mail him (address above). For other matters please write directly to me at either of the above addresses. I hope that at least some of you will be able to continue sending comments, even though it will be more trouble for you – sorry! All such letters will of course be answered. 

Добави коментар

Защитен код
Обнови

P1110623

KOBULCHESS.COM

САЙТ ЗА ШАХМАТНА КОМПОЗИЦИЯ

Главен редактор:

Диян Костадинов

Помощник редактор:

Seetharaman Kalyan

Последни коментари